Re: reisefs vs ext2 or ext3

Bob Proulx wrote:

> But the whole point of a journaling filesystem is that it does not
> need a filesystem check and repair utility.

No, the point of journaling is to avoid inconsistencies caused by sudden
failures in the middle of transactions. By itself, journaling does not
prevent other kinds of filesystem errors.

I do not know enough about XFS specifically to say whether it needs a
separate repair utility, or whether it somehow includes all the
necessary intelligence to detect and repair errors on the fly, but such
intelligence would be logically distinct from mere journaling.

Craig