Re: debain giving lil problem

Manish Kumar Arya wrote:
hi

I hav just now finished installing debian. everthing seems OK. but my X didnt worked properly and machine got hanged ( I hav sis6326 display with 4MB Video RAM and black-n-white monitor) after this i hardbooted the machine and on boot up it started checking filesystem, but file system checkup was veri veri slow (compared to ext2 FS check in Redhat) do i need to tune to get fast ? secondly i have compiled kernel 2.4.20 this box , it is booting properly but there is a difference in the orignal kernel (default installed 2.2.20) booting, in 2.2.20 i get a nice penguin displayed on top-left of monitor but this does not appears when i use kernel 2.4.20

-Manish Kumar Arya
www.LinuxIndia.net

Which version of Debian are you using? Is it Woody (3.0) or Potato (2.2) ? How did you configure X during the installation? Did you do it through the installer or through 'xf86config' or 'xf86cfg' on the commandline? Please give lots and lots of details. It helps anyone who decides to help you (everyone volunteers time here).

You should use 'ext3' if you find that the ext2 checks are slow. You would have done this while installing the machine. Also I don't think there is a difference in the ext2 checks on a Debian machine or a Redhat machine, the time difference is probably because you messed up more stuff when you rebooted (incidentally when you had Debian installed).

It would be a good idea not to compare things between different distributions with Debian unless you *really* know that its Debian-specific (in which case file a bug!). This sort of thing will result you getting flamed instead of getting help! : )

--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop