debain giving lil problem

hi

I hav just now finished installing debian. everthing seems OK. but my X didnt worked properly and machine got hanged ( I hav sis6326 display with 4MB Video RAM and black-n-white monitor) after this i hardbooted the machine and on boot up it started checking filesystem, but file system checkup was veri veri slow (compared to ext2 FS check in Redhat) do i need to tune to get fast ? secondly i have compiled kernel 2.4.20 this box , it is booting properly but there is a difference in the orignal kernel (default installed 2.2.20) booting, in 2.2.20 i get a nice penguin displayed on top-left of monitor but this does not appears when i use kernel 2.4.20

-Manish Kumar Arya
www.LinuxIndia.net