Re: CPU recommendations *avoid Intel-Shite*

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 11:00:18AM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 12:47:59AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > You can apt-get K7 optimized kernels & other distors have K7
> > > optimized kernels also &amp; even Opteron Optimized kernels now.<br>
> >
> > I wasn't trying to deceive, just saying if you're lazy and don't
> > change out the kernel in pretty much any distro, the Intel procs will
> > run slightly faster on an i386 targetted kernel.
>
> I'm very curious about the basis of this claim.  AMD CPUs implement
> the x86 instruction set just as well as Intel CPUs.  Do you have any
> references for this?  It seems very unlikely to me.

Well yeah, I thought the point of AMD's numbering of the Athlon XP was
to indicate "This Athlon performs as well as an Intel with clock speed x
although the Athlon's clock is slower than x"...

> Even if it is the case, is it really *that* hard to 'apt-get install
> kernel-image-2.4-k7'?

... and AMD's performance ratings are based on Windoze, where this
option does not exist.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons