Re: next debian stable ?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:39:50PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:19:54PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > 1) The DPL should appoint a committee (yuck) which sets up "rewards"
> > or "bounties" for important projects that need to be completed
> > yesterday.  A little green never hurts.
>
> You can do this.  Need something *now*?  Bribe a developer.  Generally
> you won't be violating any laws, unless being a Debian developer is
> part of thier official charter duties for a government or security
> agency.  Expect the bribe required to be a function of the difficulty
> of the bug and roughly a function of how long the bug has been open
> (old bugs tend to be hard bugs).  If the devels won't oblige, hire a
> consultant and submit the resulting patch.  If you want to put your
> money where your mouth is, go right ahead, I won't stop you.

Sure, individuals and groups can "bribe" developers (and that's a good
thing).  However, I'm envisionaing something more like "uh, libc has
been AFU for over two months now, $500 to the first developer with a
working NMU" (think back a few weeks :-)  debian already has
bug-squashing parties; this would just be incentive above and beyond
that.

Of course, the "no-NMU" mentality would have to change as I also
discussed.

Now that I am employed again, I'm going to try to figure out how I can
help debian from a $$ POV.

> http://debian.org/consultants/

Er, this applies to people who want to get paid to support debian.
I'm all for that, but it's not what I'm talking about here.

> > 2) Debian should be more active in soliciting donations from people
> > who use debian.  Redhat users seem to think nothing of paying $30 for
> > a set of CDs; I bet many debian users could pitch in $5.  Corporations
> > running debian could probably afford more, or even earmark monies
> > towards specific projects (debian-desktop, etc.)
>
> Debian already does.  Though it wouldn't surprise me if your
> assistance in collecting on deadbeat advertisers who haven't paid to
> advertise on the list is greaty appreciated.  (Read the rules, if you
> want to advertise, you can arrange in advance for a minimum $1,000, or
> you can just post and be billed $1,999).

Again, I'm not saying debian isn't soliciting donations.  However, they
could be even more active!  Someone should wander around to various
corporations asking for $$; then debian could list all their names in
the motd just like reiserfsck :-)

> > 1) subscribe to d-devel, and get educated on what the issues are.
>
> Or at least debian-devel-announce, which carries the big stories.

The DWN also has fairly decent summaries of what is (and isn't) going
on.

If you're interested in development though, or want a deeper
understanding of why debian is the way it is, d-devel is invaluable
(flamewars and all).

> > 2) help out.  Test and file bugs.  Work on the installer or write code
> > if you are so inclined.  Write documentation (both software and
> > processes such as installation need documentation).
>
> Subscribe to debian-boot and test debian-installer.  Speaking of
> which, before I ask on debian-boot, does anybody know what net module
> you need for vmware?  I don't think it's included on the
> debian-installer test isos.

Good advice, though sometimes debian-boot seems fairly noisy.

Last time I used vmware, the net module was 'pcnet32".  Has that
changed?

Good comments.  I hope others are motivated to test stuff like the new
installer as well, as that's very helpful and important.

  Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
  It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
          -- William Pitt