Re: next debian stable ?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 02:10:04AM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> Of course, the "no-NMU" mentality would have to change as I also
> discussed.

Meanwhile the entire time I always felt like I was being a jerk to the
devels by not offering a fix for the bugs I report...

> Now that I am employed again, I'm going to try to figure out how I can
> help debian from a $$ POV.

Become a contributing SPI member?

> Er, this applies to people who want to get paid to support debian.
> I'm all for that, but it's not what I'm talking about here.

I'm sure you can find a consultant in that list that would be happy to
oblige someone asking them to squish Debbugs for money.

> The DWN also has fairly decent summaries of what is (and isn't) going
> on.

That's the debian-news read-only-mailing list for those interested.
(If you don't read that, I strongly recommend hitting
http://debian.org/News/ regularly)

> If you're interested in development though, or want a deeper
> understanding of why debian is the way it is, d-devel is invaluable
> (flamewars and all).

Though debian-devel-announce will keep you up to date on the important
points brought up.

> Good advice, though sometimes debian-boot seems fairly noisy.

It seems to come and go, from what I saw browding the archives.

> Last time I used vmware, the net module was 'pcnet32".  Has that
> changed?

That's what I thought, too.  Hmm, I guess I'll ask on debian-boot
later how others are accomplishing use of the isos, since pcnet32
isn't one of the included modules...network support's important when
you're testing a net installer, after all.

> Good comments.  I hope others are motivated to test stuff like the new
> installer as well, as that's very helpful and important.

One thing I'd just like to add right now, and I hope DWN picks this
one up, but if you're running testing or unstable, I'd say you're
morally obligated to contribute some manpower.  At the very least,
submit solid bug reports and maintain the ones you submit (get more
info?  Add it to the ticket.  Bug solved?  Close it if the devel
doesn't.  That sort of thing).

- --
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user