Re: next debian stable ?

Noah Meyerhans said:

> You don't need to be commercial to have goals or a timeline.

true but debian is run by volunteers. what do you do when one of
these volunteers(which probably doesn't get paid at all) doesn't
meet the deadline? and nobody else steps up to the plate?  "Firing"
the "volunteer" usually doesn't do much good, especially if that
person is contributing elsewhere. Sometimes the packages just end
up shipping with bugs(e.g. sessions were broken on many architectures
in php4 on woody), other bugs are more serious though.

if it's a minor package it can be dropped usually but if its something
more important ..

the past couple releases anyways the holdup has always been the boot
floppies(from what I read anyways). can't install the system unless the
installer works ..

debian does announce freeze dates though I think, I don't remember seeing
anything for woody freezing yet, again the big project is boot floppies
where they are doing a ground up re-design of them, hopefully it gets
done in time, in previous releases they tried to do it, but ran out of
time and had to resort to hacking the previous boot floppies up for the
newer version(which I read is very difficult since the code is so old).

nate