Re: Nvidia driver -why so hard to install?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:57:52AM +0200, stavel@brailcom.org wrote:

> I usualy do this:
>
> rm /lib/modules/2.4.20 -R
> cd /usr/src
> dpkg -i kernel-image_2.4.20.deb
> dpkg -i alsa-modules-2.4.20.deb
> cd NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
> make install
>
> I think it is enough since it installs just kernel module (I  hope).

The above seems like a little over-kill and incomplete.

I don't think theres any need to manually delete the kernel modules and
reinstall the kernel-image each time you upgrade your video drivers.

Are you using the Debian helper packages "nvidia-kernel-src" and
"nvidia-glx-src".  If so, you can simply remove them through apt or dpkg
(or your interface of choice) prior to installing the new versions.  Or,
just install the new versions which should automatically remove the old
versions as part of the upgrade.

The reason I say it looks incomplete is you don't meantion anything
about upgrading the nvidia-glx driver.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar