Re: Nvidia driver -why so hard to install?

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 01:26, stavel@brailcom.org wrote:
> Hi nvidia users,
>

>     Ron> Hmmm, the driver 1.0-4349 installed pretty darned easy on my
>     Ron> system.  Just follow the directions at
>     Ron> http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux
>
>     Ron> You'll have to exit out of X, first, though.
>
>     Ron> Just this morning, I upgraded to v1.0-4363, using
>     Ron> #nvidia-installer --update
>
>     Ron> The whole thing is no harder than typing #apt-get update &&
>     Ron> apt-get upgrade
>
> This is my experience:
>
>         Acer TM 632 XC
>         NVIDIA GeForce 2 GO 64MB
>
>         The version 3123 of the driver works very well ( mplayer ... CPU < 1%)
>
>         I have tried to install newer version.
>         But:
>                 Each newer version freeze the PC when a server goes
>         into sleep mode (I guess it is sleep) after a hour of waiting and
>         not doing.
>
>         So I had to find the proper version 3123.
>         But I didn't find it  on the nvidia web!
>
>         My lucky is that the drivers were stored in my old backup.
>
>         Judge it yourself.

What about totally de-installing 3123 before trying 4363?  (Maybe you
did, but I can't tell from your text...)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |