Re: Potato to Woody upgrade failure

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:52:17PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> Larry <doccpu@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Heres the deal.
> >
> > I'm using Potato.
> >
> > I have a Woody CD set.
> >
> > Procedures:
> > 1) Comment out lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
> > 2) apt-cdrom add   (for each of the Woody CD's)
> > 3) apt-get update
> > 4) apt-get dist-upgrade
> >    At which point I got the message:
> >    E: Internal Error, couldn't configure a pre-depend
> >
> > Tried:
> > 5) apt-get upgrade
> >
> > 6) apt-get dist-upgrade
> >    Got the same pre-depend error.
> >
> > Where do I go from here?
>
> Check the messages and try to figure which package is dying when being
> upgraded. Either force install the package (dpkg --force-install
> package-name.deb) or remove the package and install it when system is
> fully updated.
>
> It usually doesn't hurt to uninstall most packages since most packages
> keep their configuration data even when they are removed. The less
> that needs to be upgraded the less that can go wrong.

Another trick (which shouldn't really be neccessary, I guess) is to
upgrade apt, dpkg and debconf first.

# apt-get install apt dpkg debconf
# apt-get upgrade

Of course, this is just a guess...

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?