Re: Xemacs and Chinese input

Robert Storey wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:20:03 +0800
Petr Simon <debian@klubko.net> wrote:

Sorry about your name Robert,
I was probably reading simultaneously two posts. As for the fonts. I thought that I don't have the apropriate fonts, but I have xfonts-tipa. Really don't know. As for the pinyin. What I want is to be able to actually input pinyin transcription of characters with tone marks above syllables. I found these characters in some table in emacs, but I don't know how to input them. And thanks for the warning. I make my homework on the export thing. And learn it well before I type my stuff in.

I thank you for motivating me to explore the input methods in Emacs. I've
found that you can indeed input Chinese-GB with tones, by using this input
method:

 chinese-tonepy-punct

If you use this input method, tones are REQUIRED, so it's "ni3 hao3 ma1"
not "ni hao ma".

If you want to explore the input methods that are available for Chinese
(and other languages), you can get a list of them by doing this:

 C-x <Enter> C-\ <SPACE>

As for your other question - now that I understand what you're trying to do
(getting tone marks over Roman characters) I realize that you don't want
IPA. Those accented characters are actually part of the GB character set.
However, I cannot find any input method in Emacs to access these
characters.

regards,
Robert

Thanks Robert,
I have recetly posted this problem to xemacs-mule, let's see what they can do :-). I wiil inform you and others interested. As for emacs and xemacs. I use xemacs now, because it gives me nice fonts. How do you handle fonts in emacs, because both gb and big5 are italics-like, not very clear. In xemacs I can choose from number of fonts I have installed on my system, but emacs does't seem to be capable of that automatically. How do I set it? And another thing, when I try to set these fonts in emacs bigger, ,chinese char change to squares. Eh. I found char tables with pinyin (accented roman letters) and I am still struggling to input them, but I probably also need IPA, because I need more accurate phonetic transcription for my thesis and I assume that only IPA would have that. Or unicode. I have to experiment I guess, but there must be someone who's using these things. My present problem are fonts, because I can list IPA characters, but alll appear as squares, Thanks for any other suggetions. And by the way, don't you need to type pinyin (tone marks, roman letters) sometimes? How do you do it if so. I found that I can input these eg in KWord via KCharSellect, but only for few fonts, like Arial and other MS fonts, which work really well.
Petr