Re: Xemacs and Chinese input

Robert Storey wrote:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:53:56 +0000
Petr Simon <debian@klubko.net> wrote:

Nope, doesn't work. I still CAN view and input chinese, but only the first character. arrow keys don't work and only move cursor. Please help me someone. I have been playing with Xemacs just two days I have already beacame addicted ;-). I have to input lot of abnormal characters, like Chinese and IPA and thats really painful in any other editor i know (MS Word, KWord, Opennoffice ...)
Thanks a lot
Petr

If I understand your question correctly...

To select a character from the line of 10 characters that displays on the
bottom of the screen, select the number of the character
(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0). Of course, this only gives you a choice of 10
characters, so to see the next 10 characters, use C-n (ctrl-n for "next"),
or to go back to the previous line, C-p (ctrl-p for "previous").

I don't know which input method you are using. I use chinese-py-b5 (Chinese
Pinyin Big5), but I think the system mentioned above works for most of the
input methods.

regards,
Robert

Hi David,
thanks for help. Sorry for being not very clear. In fact I was restless and I found it somewhere. But could you help me with another problem. I am going to write my MA thesis and I have to input so much strange stuff (you probably know) like Chinese, Czech (my native lang which uses few diacritics), pinyin and some more. So the best thing I've heard about so far is emacs. Right now I am struggling with IPA. I select ipa input method and I see that it interacts (characters get underlined), but nothing is displayed. Sometimes it gives me error about being unable to instantiate font for face <somethig>, charset ipa, so I simply turned that off in edit faces. But I still can't input IPA. And another thing, how do you actually input pinyin (I mean latin chars with tone marks). I believe that it should be possible.
Thanks for help
Petr