Re: nVidia Ethernet card not recognized on K7N2 (MS-6570) motherboard

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> [snip]
> After installing the kernel headers and running the script with
> the --kernel-include-path option set to the appropriate path,
> the kernel module could be successfully compiled and installed
> (in /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o).
                                               ^^^^^^

this should be your clue - the nvidia module you loaded is a driver for
nVidia video cards, not network. That's why...

> [snip]
> 'ifconfig eth0' says:
> eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
>
> What should I do now?

Download a driver for the nVidia *ethernet* card you've got and install
it.

> > > BTW, the machine also has an Allied Telesyn AT-2500 Ethernet card,
> > > that could alternatively be used for the moment, but I don't know
> > > how to make it work either.
> >
> > You'll need that to bootstrap the nvidia driver.
>
> Finally, I didn't need that.

You will, unless you use your Windows machine to download the driver.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu