Re: nVidia Ethernet card not recognized on K7N2 (MS-6570) motherboard

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 13:13, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Debian 3.0 (x86) from CD-ROMs on a machine with
> a K7N2 (MS-6570) motherboard, which has an on-board Ethernet port.
> But this Ethernet port isn't recognized.
>
> lspci says:
>
> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0066 (rev a1)
>
> What should I do? Is there a driver provided with the Debian CD-ROMs?

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=18509
http://home.t-online.de/home/Johannes.Deisenhofer/nforce2linux.html

It looks like it works best when you download the nvidia binary
driver.
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/02/191238&mode=thread

Of course, installing a binary kernel driver module is antithetical to
all things Debian, and disables X power management, but does make my
TNT2 card ~30x faster...

> BTW, the machine also has an Allied Telesyn AT-2500 Ethernet card,
> that could alternatively be used for the moment, but I don't know
> how to make it work either.

You'll need that to bootstrap the nvidia driver.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |