Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:56:57 -0600
"Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:

> I never said it was right.  To install most any recent Linux
> distribution, the individual does need to know a good deal more than
> they would need to install a recent MS OS release.  To claim otherwise
> is ludicrous.  Is Linux easier to maintain or install if you know what
> you're doing? Sure, but that is not the point that was being made.

I disagree.

I would have agreed, until I started spending time in my friend's computer
shop, doing Windows updates/installs/reinstalls on customer hardware.

When you have Linux installed and configured, it's done.

When you have Windows installed and configured, then it's time to start
download-a-driver-reboot-install-an-update-reboot...ad nauseum.

It does take a fair amount of knowledge to get through that with only minor
scratches. You need to know your hardware pretty well, and you need to know
enough about under-the-cover-Windows to sort out the updates you need from
the ones you don't.

Kevin