Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

* bob parker (bob_parker@dodo.com.au) [030417 11:58]:
> Linux was ready for the desktop quite some time ago, especially Debian.
> OK it's not that wonderful to install but how many Windows users install
> their own system? Very few I'll bet.

This is a very important but seldom realized point.  I invite anyone who
claims that "Linux is hard to install" to attempt a ground-up install of
any version of windows.

> If you look at the most common user needs; word processing, simple
> spreadsheets with just row/column sums and maybe a little date display and
> arithmetic. Add to those a web browser and email client and you've covered
> 90% or more I'd bet.

Precisely.  Shockingly, they're all convinved that they need a 2+GHz
Pentium 4 to run such a terminal.

good times,
Vineet
--