Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

* Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) [030418 12:23]:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:53:59AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * bob parker (bob_parker@dodo.com.au) [030417 11:58]:
> > > Linux was ready for the desktop quite some time ago, especially
> > > Debian.  OK it's not that wonderful to install but how many Windows
> > > users install their own system? Very few I'll bet.
> >
> > This is a very important but seldom realized point.  I invite anyone
> > who claims that "Linux is hard to install" to attempt a ground-up
> > install of any version of windows.
>
> Sorry, but if you honestly think Windows is more difficult to install
> than most Linux distros, your missing something.  I'm certianly
> pro-Linux, and prefer it to any MS release, but the MS releases are a
> fair bit more "hand holding".

Well, I can't say that I've installed most distros, but I've been
actively comparing installs of win2k and XP versus redhat at a client
site.  Of course, this isn't hard evidence, but in my experience, redhat
"just works" more often than does windows.

Of course, this is getting OT, since redhat's installation process is
orthogonal to whether debian's is difficult.

Also, I'd say that of the 3, I'd describe redhat's as the most
"hand-holding", while windows' is more like "hand-cuffing".  (Yes, I
realize that the terminology I choose here weakens my argument by making
me sound like a raving zealot.)  The windows installer doesn't guide you
through any decisions at all, it just doesn't give you any decisions to
make.

good times,
Vineet
--