Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 01:09, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2003 03:02:48 -0400
>
> "Mark L. Kahnt" <kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > I noticed an item in passing on lwn.net, and thought I should expound
> > here on a recent experience with a client. He has a Pentium/3 at his
>
> Perhaps you could expand on this email and send it to linuxtoday.com as an
> article (if they won't take it, perhaps linuxworld.com or even
> linuxjournal.com).
>
> This is a great story, and it should get as much circulation as possible to
> balance the "Linux will never be a destop solution" FUD.
>
> Kevin

Linux was ready for the desktop quite some time ago, especially Debian.
OK it's not that wonderful to install but how many Windows users install
their own system? Very few I'll bet.

And then re-install it again and again.

XP may be more stable but it still corrupts it's own nest over time.
especially for the power users.

If you look at the most common user needs; word processing, simple
spreadsheets with just row/column sums and maybe a little date display and
arithmetic. Add to those a web browser and email client and you've covered
90% or more I'd bet.

Then throw in the Gimp and OpenOffice and you've covered more than 90% of
what's left.

Seems to me that almost all of the objections to Debian in particular are
based on installation difficulties. Since most computers sold come with the
o/s pre-installed that issue no longer exists as soon as the vendors wake up.

Point of interest one our local Wintel vendors provides OO for Win with what
he sells. The thin of the wedge is in.

Bob