Re: Debian OS for my PC , 2nd POSTING

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 00:22, Sharninder wrote:
> > would like to install ***your OS*** side by side MS Windows 95 and
> would
>
> Our OS !!! it's your OS too dude ... that's the freedom opensource and
> free software gives you. u don't owe anything to anyone.
>

> >    Internal Modem - half card size BOCAMODEM V32bis, 14.4 Kbps
>
> I'm not sure wether your internal modem would work with linux or not.
> most internal modems don't. But just check up on the site
> linmodems.org
> As for the rest of the configuration, u won't be able to install any
> full distro with the hard disk u have. but debian woody with a minimum
> base install would be just fine. u can do a floppy install also. check
> the debian.org site for detailed docs.
>

> Sharninder Singh
> National Institute Of Management, Calcutta

> 'M.C.S.E - Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert'

I would suggest that if the speed maxes out at 14.4 Kb/s, that modem
long predates winmodems. I first used a 14.4 Kb/s (aka V32bis) on a
486DX/33MHz system, replacing a 2400 baud board. When I finally retired
it, I moved to a 28.8 Kb/s card not too long before the 33.6 Kb/s cards
rolled out - that would be nearly a decade ago? 14.4 Kb/s cards were
gone from the North American consumer market as new merchandise by that
time. Winmodems didn't start showing until MMX rolled out, primarily
implemented in the two preliminary, and one eventual 56 Kb/s formats,
but also in some of the later 33.6 Kb/s modems, iirc. I'm not certain
about the internal approach of winmodems, but my understanding is that
they require MMX (which stood for MultiMedia eXtensions) to construct
the audio waveforms used in modem communications. That would mean that
they need at least a Pentium MMX or Pentium II to work.

In other words, to the OP, the BOCAMODEM should be fine, unless there
was something REALLY REALLY weird and it was some "re-engineering" for
environments where the phonelines would NEVER support 53 Kb/s.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org