SOLVED: Re: Partitioning GUI tools

Kevin McKinley wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

I would reccomend investigating what that error means, or move the
data off /dev/hda6 and delete that partition and see if the error goes
away then try to create it again. You may run into trouble at some

BAD idea.

If he deletes /dev/hda6 that will break the linked list of logical
partitions.

I actually did try this. While it didn't help, by the same token it didn't hurt.

His problem is that he didn't create partitions in the same logical order as
their physical layout.

The fix:

I actually ended up just deleting /dev/hda2[the Win95 Extended partition] and pretty much started from scratch which took some creative manuevering since not all my data is backed up, but once I got rid or /dev/hda2, cfdisk started working and was exactly what I was looking for. Things went smoothly for a while. Then everything went haywire, and I panicked for a couple of hours. Then I got everything working again and now I am mostly done with my repartitioning. The biggest headache was that my rescue CDs don't support ext3, I need to get new ones. :) I have finally gotten rid of all the cruft left over from multiple uses of Partition Magic.