Re: Partitioning GUI tools

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> I would reccomend investigating what that error means, or move the
> data off /dev/hda6 and delete that partition and see if the error goes
> away then try to create it again. You may run into trouble at some

BAD idea.

If he deletes /dev/hda6 that will break the linked list of logical
partitions.

His problem is that he didn't create partitions in the same logical order as
their physical layout.

The fix:

1. do "fdisk -ul > somefile" to save the sector information.
2. back up every partition.
3. use fdisk to recreate the partitions, this time start at the beginning
and put each new partition at the beginning of the free space.
4. restore the data.

This has happened to me twice. The first time I didn't know what happened
and had to reinstall from scratch and rebuild my archive. I didn't realize
what my mistake had been and did the same thing again.

The second time I had done step one, so I had the information to recover the
partition table. A friend showed me how to do it, and explained what my
problem was.

Kevin