Re[4]: Debian testing system won't boot

>> mount: / is busy

n> you have a filesystem mounted on the system that needs to be
n> unmounted first(most likely anyways), run 'mount' and be sure
n> any filesystems are not mounted (e.g. /usr /var /home etc, /proc
n> can be mounted though it won't cause that error)

running mount displays:

/dev/hda1 on / type reiserfs (rw,notail)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)

running umount / displays:

umount: /: device is busy

Also, when I "mount / -o remount,rw" it works fine, and then the
following is dumped on my screen.

"""
insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17-reiserfs/misc/af_packet.o: cannot open
/proc/ksyms No such file or directory
ls uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
insmod: insmod: a module named af_packet already exists
insmod: insmod: cannot open /proc/ksyms No such file or directory
insmod: insmod: insmod net-pf-17 failed
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
PPP line discipline registered.
insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17-resierfs/net/slhc.o: cannot open
/proc/ksyms No such file or directory
insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17-resierfs/net/ppp.o: cannot open
/proc/ksyms No such file or directory
"""

When I cd to /proc and ls -la, it's completely empty.

n> try removing scripts after the ppp ones, scripts are executed in
n> alphabetical order. /etc/rc2.d is probably the place you need to
n> look in, what all is in there?

Trying this now.

n> this looks like the system is rebooting.

I didn't signal the machine to reboot :\.

n> I suppose anything is possible but the above lines don't look unusual
n> unless the system didn't actually reboot at that time, OR the system
n> didn't go to runlevel 1 at that time..

The system didn't actually reboot, when I came in today, it had halted
during the shutdown process (so it appeared). I could ctrl-alt-f2 to
another prompt, but I couldn't type anything, it wouldn't let me
login.

n> in /etc/rc2.d ..or PERHAPS in /etc/rcS.d ..though I've never had
n> any problems with scripts in rcS.d

I'll try this after trying /etc/init.d

n> also, does the system freeze? as in hard lockup? can you hit num lock
n> or caps lock and does the system respond? can you CTRL-ALT-DELETE and
n> have it reboot? Or not?

No the system doesn't completely lock up, numlock works and I can type
characters on the screen, but I cannot trigger anything into
happening.

Thanks,
--Sean

n> Sean Abrahams said:
>> **The last mail was accidentally sent in the middle of typing**

n> ahh ok!

>> mount: / is busy

n> you have a filesystem mounted on the system that needs to be
n> unmounted first(most likely anyways), run 'mount' and be sure
n> any filesystems are not mounted (e.g. /usr /var /home etc, /proc
n> can be mounted though it won't cause that error)

>> So I rebooted, but the same problem came up. The PPP lines still
>> showed up and it halts afterward.

n> try removing scripts after the ppp ones, scripts are executed in
n> alphabetical order. /etc/rc2.d is probably the place you need to
n> look in, what all is in there?

>> I was checking my syslog and found a few interesting items at the end:
>>
>> """
>> Apr 15 16:33:56 compname init: Switching to runlevel: 6
>> Apr 15 16:34:59 compname postgres[384]: [1] DEBUG: smart shutdown request
>> Apr 15 16:34:59 compname postgres[7645]: [2] DEBUG: shutting down
>> Apr 15 16:34:01 compname postgres[7645]: [3] DEBUG: database system is
>> shut down
>> Apr 15 16:34:02 compname modprobe: modeprobe: Can't locate module
>> char-major-10-135
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname named[338]: named shutting down
>>
>> [snip common stuff]
>>
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname kernel: Kernel log daemon terminating.
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname exiting on signal 15

n> this looks like the system is rebooting.

>> """
>>
>> I wasn't anywhere near the machine at the time these events occurred, and
>> am the only one with access to the machine. Could someone have gained
>> access, and caused the above syslog lines?

n> I suppose anything is possible but the above lines don't look unusual
n> unless the system didn't actually reboot at that time, OR the system
n> didn't go to runlevel 1 at that time..

>> Nonetheless, there's no ppp entry in /etc/rc2.d and I don't quite know
>> what to do next. (How to find what is causing the system to halt after
>> PPP) Should I look at the order of files in init.d?

n> in /etc/rc2.d ..or PERHAPS in /etc/rcS.d ..though I've never had
n> any problems with scripts in rcS.d

n> also, does the system freeze? as in hard lockup? can you hit num lock
n> or caps lock and does the system respond? can you CTRL-ALT-DELETE and
n> have it reboot? Or not?

>> Thanks again for your help.

n> sure no prob

n> nate