Re[2]: Debian testing system won't boot

Nate,

Thank you for the reply.

I followed your directions, mounted / with 'mount / -o remount,rw' and
executed 'update-rc.d -f ppp remove'.

When I try to remount / with 'mount / -o remount/ro' it returns:

I was checking my syslog and found a few interesting items at the end:

Apr 15 16:34:03 compname init: Switching to runlevel: 6
Apr 15 16:34:03 compname init: Switching to runlevel: 6
Apr 15 16:34:03 compname init: Switching to runlevel: 6
Apr 15 16:34:03 compname init: Switching to runlevel: 6

--Sean

n> Sean Abrahams said:

>> The thing is I don't need PPP; I don't even have a modem installed on the
>> machine. Here are some other messages I found that might be
>> important.

n> if you can get to single user mode (linux emergency you said did it)
n> you can try this:

n> mount / -o remount,rw
n> (then mount any other filesystems like /var and /usr if they are on
n> different filesystems unless everything is on / )

n> then I would remove ppp:

n> apt-get remove ppp

n> or just disable it

n> update-rc.d -f ppp remove

n> see if that helps, unless the problem is comming from something after
n> ppp loads, in which case whatever script it is seems to be hanging before
n> it gets to print any output, if it still hangs then try to remove other
n> services that come after ppp in /etc/rc2.d with the update-rc.d command
n> as above.

n> once done, unmount your /var and /usr and any other partitions you
n> mounted and remount / readonly:

n> mount / -o remount,ro

n> and reboot(depending on what "mode" your in depends on whether or not
n> you need to reboot or just hit init 2, if you try the init 2 route
n> then you need to remount everything read-write again). I reccomend
n> rebooting, sometimes going the init 2 route the system may hang
n> (e.g. if your booted with init=/bin/bash not sure what linux emergency
n> calls to get you to a prompt).

n> nate