Re: Connecting remotely to my home computer

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:24:45PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:20:20PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> > >Does the DSL Modem or your firewall get assigned the external IP?
> >
> > DSL Modem gets the external IP.
>
> That could be a bit of a problem.  Since the modem gets the external IP,
> your internal systems really don't know what it is.  I don't know of an
> easy way for them to determine it either.  Unless, you've got an
> external site that will inform the requester of their apparent IP.

There are certainly sites that'll do this (checkip.dyndns.org for
example). Also, if you do go with dyndns or equivalent, the little
program that tells dyndns when your IP has changed may well be able to
query the dsl-modem for the IP. I use ddclient and it supports a fair
variety of routers and such natively, along with the option of hacking
together a regexp if your hardware isn't on the list.  As long as your
interface has a "status" page that lists the WAN IP on it somewhere, you
should be able to cobble together a way to retrieve it without
resorting to anyone's external web page.