2.4.20 kernel and RTL8139

 I'm having a problem getting my on-board NIC to work with the 2.4.20
kernel. I was using Debian with the old 2.2 kernel, under which the
network card worked fine. Then I upgraded to the 2.4.20 kernel, and
suddenly I'm unable to connect to the dhcp server. Using lilo to boot
the old kernel still works fine.
 Before you ask, yes I did include the 8139 card in menuconfig. When
I run ifconfig, eth0 appears in the list alongside lo (loopback device),
but it doesn't get an IP address like it did in 2.2. Pinging the network
card (127.0.0.1) works, but that's lo I guess? Has anyone had similar
problems, and if so, how do you solve them?

--
Alex Borghgraef