Re: Networking - dhcp-client

Hi Alan

I upgraded a 80Mhz Nubus Mac from potato to woody and turned a virtually unusable machine into a useful workhorse. The biggest drawback on low spec PC's seems to be graphics.

If you have a decent graphics card and monitor though, you can run something like blackbox or icewm-gnome which are less resource hungry than gdm/kdm etc.

I've just re-installed Windows on an ancient HP 133 PII because the graphics under woody were poor and slow. The PC is for someone who wouldn't cope with the shortcomings of the Debian installation. In comparison, the machine seems to fly under windows 98 - which is disappointing. Having spent the weekend on the Debian installation without success, I took the least line of resistance - if I had more knowledge and time to devote to it I may have improved performance but I've got 5 other machines (2 macs, 2 LH Pro Servers and a Dell 500Mhz) that we're "Debianising" with much greater success ;-)

All of which is a long winded way of saying that woody is a great improvement on potato ;-)

Good Luck

Clive