Re: install/upgrade

* john walsh <john_coach@hotmail.com> [31-03-2003 17:28]:
> I currently run RedHat (7.3), but am thinking about switching to
> Debian because of the upgrade nature of RH.

Since you are currently running an old RH system (old if
version-numbering has a meaning), this is not likely to be a problem
for you. When you run a mixed Debian system (stable, testing,
unstable), you may risk some problems in smoothly updating the
system. When you stick to stable, you can update security patches
and upgrade to a new release with two or three commands.

Running stable however means that you are not able to install easily
new versions of packages. For a desktop system this might be
undesireble (Mozilla 1.0, KDE 2.2).

I run a mixed system myself and no disasters have happened. However
I am not always able to update/upgrade when or to what I want. So I
use Knoppix to check out all the cool new stuff and use a Debian
unstable system for day-to-day work that gets updated when I know I
have some time to fix problems that might arise.

Bob