RE: install/upgrade

Hi There. I am new to the list and new to debian.
I want to install debian 3.0 r0 from cds that i have,
and have a few questions.

The update process:

> Automagically.
> $ su -m
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get dist-upgrade

I assume these are examples of how to update within a distro and
to upgrade a distro to the next one??

However, how can you set things up to update or upgrade
certain things from stable to testing or unstable?

I only have the woody 3.0 r0 cds, and a slow internet
connection for that box.  but i have a faster internet
connection via a windows box which is offsite from the
linux box.

.  I want to know how i can do this process of using apt
for updating and upgrading with sets of packages or iso images
that i have downloaded from the windows box and burned to cd
or  copied to a partition on my debian box, rather than apting
over the net via http or ftp.

If there is a way to do this, how can i work out which things to
download from the net to ensure i have everything i need when
updating or upgrading?

thanks for any help.

Mat.