postfix + evolution smtp auth assistance needed

Hello, my apologies if this is a rehash. I've STFW and RTFM'd a bit and
I'm still coming up short on an answer.

I'm trying to get evolution working properly with postfix. Other clients
(sylpheed, mozilla, OE) work. It is Evolution that remains to work
correctly. I'm migrating from sendmail to postfix. The last exploit was
the last straw. I dont really need any of the more esoteric features of
sendmail anymore, and it was only comfort and familiarity that kept me
using it. So I switched, and except for this last issue its been a great
success with reasonably little effort on my part :)

As it stands now, mail is working correctly. As in delivered/transported
as it should be. Evolution is the final client I'm having a hard time
getting working.

It is my experience and understanding that evolution does NOT use
starttls, but rather connects to port 465 on the mail server in SSL mode.
I did some reading, fixed my /etc/postfix/master.cf and enabled ssmtp. Now
I can conect with s_client and speak smtp on that port. However, no matter
what I do, evolution will not auth sucessfully. When I let evolution check
for supported auth types on the sending mail tab, I get LOGIN, PLAIN,
CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5. None of these work. LOGIN/PLAIN should work. I'm
fairly certain that sylpheed-claws is using CRAM-MD5.

I'm thinking it has something to do with my main.cf or master.cf. The
clients that use STARTTLS to start the SSL session seem to have no issues
authenticating properly. Evolution skips the starttls command and begins
in SSL mode. I have a feeling that this is a likely problem, however I'm
not sure, and I'm also not sure what to do next.....

The doc here:
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/index.html
came in very handy during all of this.

I'm using the version of postfix that is currently in stable, the
evolution client is the build currently in unstable. The evolution client
used to work with my old sendmail setup as did all the other clients.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions. My main.cf/master.cf can
be mailed out if anyone wants to bother looking at them, but for now I'll
not post them to the list. If you're really interrested, they can be had
here:

http://www.neverlight.com/postfix-settings.tgz

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"Shouting at people who, for one reason or another, cannot hear you
is mentally-ill behavior -- or evidence of idiots in command."

--George Smith, a virus researcher and columnist for SecurityFocus.

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc