install/upgrade

Hi,

I currently run RedHat (7.3), but am thinking about switching to
Debian because of the upgrade nature of RH.

With Debian - how does the process of keeping the packages/system
updated work ?

On RedHat, I use up2date, which is excellent, except that it won't
upgrade me from my current channel (7.3) to the latest channel, which
means a re-install (I think), which I'd rather not have to do.

So what I really want to know about Debian is:

1) is there some system for checking for newer packages, and installing
them (like RH up2date) ?

2) does it keep me really up to date ? ie. when the next release
past woody comes out, will it upgrade to it, or do I have to re-install
again ?

Thanks,
John.

Hotmail messages direct to your mobile phone http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile/mobilehotmail