Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:34:47AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 04:21:23PM +1200, cr wrote:
> > That 'tech support' is a red herring anyway, at least if you have Internet
> > access.   I've had better support from the linux-newbie, gnome, debian
> > mailing lists (and even from a guy I just happen to have met on a completely
> > unrelated mailing list who runs a Linux network in UK) than I *ever* have
> > from any official source.
>
> Because volunteers don't have to be paid, are self-motivated and don't
> have to worry about a big client suing them for bad advice.  The Linux
> support model works better because the people volunteering to do it
> tend to know what they're doing than some outsource[1] bob who may
> have just walked in off the street for a call center job and may or
> may not be reading off some mandated flow chart.  Newbies don't quite
> get this, oddly enough, never mind they've probably used a similar
> model by asking a friend for help before trying to call tech support...
>

> [1] I know the horror first hand.  Worked in a 5000 employee call
> center for Stream International and there were maybe 20 people who
> didn't have to use the flow charts...alt.tech-support.recovery has
> similar tales from around the world from outsource bobs with a clue.

Now, imagine calling tech support for major router vendor C, J, or N;
or calling tech support for a tier 1 provider.  If you can quickly
demonstrate that you have a clue, you get lucky and get moved up to a
level 2 or 3 tech.  Otherwise you are stuck with bob.  Bob sucks when
your PC is broken; he really sucks when your network is down.

I hate tech support.  It's a PITA to call, and sucks to be on the
other side too.

  We're sysadmins. To us, data is a protocol-overhead.