Re: How long is linux going to be free ?

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 06:45, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:51:42AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > It's not entirely clear whether or not the copyright holders may
> > release new versions of the software under a more restrictive license,
> > making the non-free fork of tuxracer legally questionable as far as I
> > can tell.
>
> The copyright holders may always do this at their discretion, since the
> authority to issue licences rests entirely with them. If I release a
> piece of software under licence X, I am not bound by the terms of
> licence X. The same applies to a group of copyright holders if they all
> agree.
>
> IANAL either, but this is my fairly firm understanding of what a licence
> means.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

A license is a permit to the one issued the license a collection of
privileges to make use of the item as per the terms of the license. It
does not preclude different types of licenses or outright grants of
rights. It is similar to how, with roadways, you may have a general
license that gives you the privilege to use cars and trucks on the
roadways subject to certain rules. A police officer, ambulance paramedic
or firefighter likely has a different license that gives them additional
privileges to drive vehicles for emergency purposes in certain ways,
including being able to direct the clearing of traffic so that the
emergency vehicle can pass through.

Differing software licenses are not dissimilar in concept. Even with
commercial software, you will find a consumer license, and a paragraph
or two at the end regarding US Government rights, partly due to special
needs and/or desires of the US Government or parts thereof to have
additional control and rights that otherwise would not be traditionally
part of a license. This is the "alternate license" for US govenrment
terms.

That said, I have long thought that with the GPL, if I was to produce
some code released under it, I cannot, regardless of how valuable of a
contribution this clause might be, require that any extensions of the
code be done in a way that it improves the code and does not introduce
viruses or worms. I could alternately license it that way, but it would
not, IIUC, be DFSG-Free.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org