Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Saturday 29 March 2003 07:41, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> >As a perennial budget-limited fixer/upgrader of not-quite-new PC's,  I
> > just don't want to know these brand-name bleeding-edge
> > nobody-else's-bits-fit 'top
> >name' brands.   Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM.... you can keep 'em.    Give me a
> >Joe's Computer Shop special assembled from off-the-shelf bits any day.
> ><grin>
> >
> >cr
>
> I am in total agreement.  The only brand-name computer I have ever
> purchased is my laptop.  I won't do that anymore, especially since a friend
> recently told me that in many cases you can buy direct from the
> manufacturer (the one under contract to Dell, IBM, or whatever).  The only
> down-side is you don't get tech support.  But if bought from Dell and put
> Debian on it, I wouldn't get tech support from the, either.  So in the end,
> it's all the same.
>
> -Roberto

That 'tech support' is a red herring anyway, at least if you have Internet
access.   I've had better support from the linux-newbie, gnome, debian
mailing lists (and even from a guy I just happen to have met on a completely
unrelated mailing list who runs a Linux network in UK) than I *ever* have
from any official source.

cr