Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

As a perennial budget-limited fixer/upgrader of not-quite-new PC's,  I just
don't want to know these brand-name bleeding-edge nobody-else's-bits-fit 'top
name' brands.   Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM.... you can keep 'em.    Give me a
Joe's Computer Shop special assembled from off-the-shelf bits any day.
<grin>

cr

I am in total agreement. The only brand-name computer I have ever purchased is my laptop. I won't do that anymore, especially since a friend recently told me that in many cases you can buy direct from the manufacturer (the one under contract to Dell, IBM, or whatever). The only down-side is you don't get tech support. But if bought from Dell and put Debian on it, I wouldn't get tech support from the, either. So in the end, it's all the same.

-Roberto