Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 04:38:53PM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2003-03-25T20:18:48Z, Frank Gevaerts <frank@gevaerts.be> writes:
>
> > Indeed. Whenever a program tells me to 'press any key', I always first try
> > shift, control and alt. Usually, the message is clearly wrong
>
> Have you found any "correct" programs other than, say, xev?  :)

No :) Shall I file bug reports ?

> > Good question. My guess would be that they do count, but it isn't obvious
> > at all.
>
> Answer: "Fn" doesn't count, but the chorded keys do.  I just wanted to point
> out that not being able to count one's keys doesn't necessarily an idiot
> make.

My excuse is that I was being surrounded by lots of different old
keyboards without Fn keys (my laptop is currently broken), and without
so-called internet keys...

Actually, I somehow doubt that the keyboard model is really a big
problem in the installer. I guess video chipset ,partitionning and the
like are much more of a newbie problem. Hard to know though, since I
don't remember having problems getting X running in the last 5 years or
so (except on unsupported cards of course). Does anyone remember the
howto about modelines/video timings by (iirc) ESR ? Once you study that
one, X is easy.

Frank