ATI Radeon OpenGL results in black screen/window

glxinfo claims:

direct rendering: Yes

When I have "direct rendering: No" because of starting a second X
session, 3D works fine. With direct rendering: Yes, however, I get
only a black screen, or a black window. glxgears outputs a good
framerate to the console, and makes my machine warmer, but still, only
black.

I've just tested with Knoppix, my display card *is* still working.
It's one of the earlier ATI Radeon models, and it used to work just
fine in Debian too. Any ideas on what I must do to get it working
again? I've got a custom kernel 2.4.20, I've got radeonfb loaded, that
shouldn't make a difference, I've got "radeon" module loaded too, and
agpgart, with:

CONFIG_AGP=m
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151 is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_OLD is not set

Which I'd expect to work, since I have:

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 [IGD4-1P] AGP Bridge

(According to lspci.)

Ideas? I'm running Debian unstable, updated today, with local mirror,
so I'm at most a day, likely not two, behind.

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe
--
The earth's surface is accelerating outward at 9.8 meters per sec^2
1024D/60715698: 5F2E 8EC2 E0A4 5D25 0569  F281 4A6C D76D 6071 5698