Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:05:16AM -0800, Lukas Latz wrote:
> > Of course, when the shiny happy install doesn't work on some esoteric
> > hardware you're screwed, but nobody runs _that_ stuff.  (or do
> > they??)
> >
> > *sigh*
>
> About 2 1/2 years ago, I installed Suse on a 1997 Mac clone with a
> Formac graphics card. Their acclaimed graphical installer (not X
> though) had trouble dealing with the card, so I had to fall back to the
> text based installer, which, understandably, they had neglected as
> nobody uses it.
> Consequently, the keyboard setup (I had a german mac keyboard) didn't
> work right.
> That kind of thing?

EXACTLY!!!

Sorry for yelling, but this whole "debian is hard to install" thing
drives me crazy.  Call me an elite bastard, but I still feel if debian
is too hard to install, you shouldn't be installing it.  Mandrake et
al exist for a reason.

On the other hand, if debian is too staid for you, there are gentoo
and slackware and the internet for the roll your own types.

See, it's like this:  as long as you are using linux I think that's
great.  I really don't care what color linux you are using (just like
I don't really care what shell you use or what kind of beer you
drink).  I may get pissy if you set up some redhat server disaster and
then ask me to maintain it, but if the money is there I'll try to
manage it :-)

I run debian on sparc hardware as well as i386.  I've been using i386
since I was in middle school so being expected to know things like how
many keys are on the keyboard and what kind of video chipset I have is
not a big shock.  Apparently this freaks out a lot of people.  It's a
good thing those people never tried to get cool games running on DOS.

The sparc stuff can get exciting; I'm about a year or two into sparc
hardware.  It has good points and bad points.  You can get a lot of
cool stuff on ebay, thus my desktop and server (both running linux).
Some code still is a bit dodgy on sparc; some of it will never work
due to arch-specific problems.

I like that debian runs on several different arches; I can log into
lorien (my i386 server) or aglarond (my ultra 60) and for the most
part, I see no difference (except the ultra 60 kicks more ass).
Commands are the same, file locations are the same ... it's a dream:
one that no other *nix I've used comes close to matching.

Sorry for the rant.

  Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me
  and I'll understand.
          -- Chinese Proverb