Ethernet startup problems

Hi,
   I recently got my system installed, with Ethernet
[dual boot, Woody/Win98, pentium 800].

   I had trouble installing X, and in the process of
trying to get that up and running, at one point locked
the computer completely.  The disk drive was running
but not doing anything, keyboard was locked, mouse was
locked.

Nominally, this was not supposed to be on root, but
who knows.

   So after a few minutes of watching this, I
unplugged the computer, plugged it back in, and
rebooted, but unfortunately it had some major troubles
with the disk.  I had to enter as root, run the disk
checking utility by hand, and tell it to delete the
extra blocks that had been sitting around unsynced.

   Problem is, after that point, my ethernet doesn't
work [RTL8139].  Looking at the syslog, I now no
longer see ethernet even mentioned during the startup.

   Going over to modprobe -c, I again don't see it.
So [I'm sure this will seem to be a stupid question]
how do I reinstall that module?

   Also, how do I know what else has been blown to
pieces by this apparent crash?

   Note:  I may have blown my Eth0 away, but X works
now :->