Re: The myth of aptitude simplicity

On 15/02/03 Paul Johnson did speaketh:

> Why does everybody keep saying this when it's false?  Aptitude and
> apt-get are getting thier information from the same place and making
> the same decisions.  Both tell you quite specifically what is going on
> before it asks you to commit to it.  Nobody has yet demonstrated on
> the list anything that you can do in aptitude easier or faster than
> you can with some combination of apt-file, apt-cache and apt-get.
>
> "But aptitude's a front end to apt!"  No, apt is a front end to dpkg,
> and aptitude is a replacement to dselect when using apt as a source.

    I couldn't agree more. I am not impressed by the interactive tools at all.
apt-get, apt-cache are why I use Debian. If they're deprecated then we have a
problem. Both dselect and aptitude make me suffer from information overload.
apt-get gives me what I need, when I need it.

    One of the best things about apt-get is that removals trace dependencies,
so if I want to remove all X packages, all I have to do is apt-get remove on a
base X library, and _everything_ that depends on X transitively will be
removed. There isn't a distribution around that has that functionality.

    I implore the developers to focus on apt.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix