Re: KDE 3? or 4?

Bill Webster <bwebster@burgoyne.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 02:42, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:53:02AM -0700, Bill Webster wrote:
>> > I am having a problem and I am wondering if someone out there is having
>> > the same problem or can explain what is going on.
>> >
>> > My laptop was running KDE3 from unstable.
>>
>> You couldn't be, since KDE2.2 is still in unstable, though broken,
>> right now.
>
> I was confused by the fact that the packages say 'Version: 4:...'. In
> fact why do they?

Err, ignore the number before the ':'.  It's the "epoch", which is not
related to the upstream version.  If you're curious about the version
schemes Debian uses, read about it in Debian Policy:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-versions.html

>> > About 3 days ago I did an upgrade that upgraded it to what appears
>> > to be a partial upgrade to version 4.
>>
>> This is why you need to review what a dist-upgrade is going to do.  If
>> you see a large number of packages being removed, do not upgrade.  You
>> can either try to downgrade to testing or wait it out until KDE3 is
>> fully merged in with sid.  Your KDE is now a mix of 3.1 and 2.2, with
>> a *lot* of missing packages.  Good luck.
>
> I always try and watch out for things like this. In fact I rarely do
> dist-upgrades but I do perform upgrades regularly. But some how I must
> of done a dist-upgrade and did not pay attention. :-)

I think you'd be much better off forgoing apt-get and using an
interactive package tool instead such as aptitude.  Proper use of such a
tool will make it much easier to keep your package system in stable
state.

--
On a scale of 1 to 10?  It sucked.