Re: The myth of aptitude simplicity

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 07:32, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 16/02/03 Paul Johnson did speaketh:
>
> > Well, that's because it also installs reccommends.  Some folks prefer
> > that.
>
>     Partly, but it's also because it tries to upgrade my whole system, when
> all I wanted to do was install a single package.

Actually, if you'll recall my initial message, I said that I use apt-get
for single packages and dselect for upgrades for this very reason. :)
Besides, if I just want to install a package there's really no point in
starting up dselect to do it. But for updating my entire system, there's
no better way that I've seen to keep an eye on what's being changed,
what's available, and what will and won't work. Dependency conflicts are
a pain to resolve when using apt-get, primarily because you have to do
it all by hand. dselect OTOH shows you which packages are involved and
where the problem lies.

Coincidentally, in regards to using aptitude for all of the above, I'm
sure that it can do all of the things that dselect can do, and probably
more, but it has a rather steep learning curve for those of use who have
been using dselect for a long time. It looks enough like dselect to
encourage you to use it the same way, only it doesn't work that way. :)
But for a new user who's not used to either I'd imagine it wouldn't be
any more difficult than learning dselect right off the bat.

--
Alex