Re: Certification

Steve Lamb said:

> make me so.  And while the cert doesn't prove that I am the end-all god of
> C++ it does show I know /something/ and that something was enough to get
> the cert.

well maybe you, but for a lot of people it shows they *KNEW* something,
and that something was enough retained knowledge to pass the test. Maybe
they forgot most of it during the next 6 months they were looking for
a job because they didn't practice(or in some cases perhaps they had
no ability to practice due to lack of equipment to practice on).

shit I started learning perl in november, took a 2 month break and
about a week ago started on a new perl book and saw that I had forgotten
a ton of stuff, just because I'd barely touched it in 2 months.

at the same time, at my previous job I spent more then my fair amount
of time interacting with DEC Tru64 systems for the first few months
of my job(more then 2 years ago), but now I couldn't even name the main
admin tool that OS has(their equivilent of admintool, smit, sam etc).

tru64 4.0 is selling for $17 new so maybe I'll pickup an alpha
somewhere and try it out again..

nate