Re: Certification

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:31:21AM -0800, deFreese, Barry wrote:
I think the stigma is changing some after many companies have been burned
hiring the "certified" morons.  However, getting certified is never
necessarily a bad thing.  It can be a way to keep up with technology and it
also shows employers that you are willing to continue learning/growing.

I don't even think it's a good way to stay current.  Well, at least
not in any manner that you couldn't get from looking through the
certification vendor's software and hardware sales catalogs and
Google...

We're not talking about reality here, we're talking about corporate America! :-) I agree that certification doesn't necessarily keep you up to date in reality, but it looks that way on paper, which unfortunately too many people rely on. As with most things, it's all about perception...

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.