RE: Certification

Certification is a double-edged sword.  I don't know about the Linux world
yet but in the old Novell days and in the M$ world, many organizations will
not hire someone who is not "certified", regardless of their true experience
level or talent.

Now, the flip side of the problem is that you have VERY talented people who
do not need to be certified getting passed over for jobs and freshly
certified (certifiable? :-) ) morons who couldn't set up a server to save
their lives.

I think the stigma is changing some after many companies have been burned
hiring the "certified" morons.  However, getting certified is never
necessarily a bad thing.  It can be a way to keep up with technology and it
also shows employers that you are willing to continue learning/growing.

Just my worthless $.02

BTW, is there a Debian certification?? ;-) Just kidding.

Barry deFreese
NTS Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports
(949)-616-4005
Barry.deFreese@nike.com

"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell