Re: Certification

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:16:50 -0800
From: Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:31:21AM -0800, deFreese, Barry wrote:
>> I think the stigma is changing some after many companies have been burned
>> hiring the "certified" morons.  However, getting certified is never
>> necessarily a bad thing.  It can be a way to keep up with technology and it
>> also shows employers that you are willing to continue learning/growing.

>I don't even think it's a good way to stay current.  Well, at least
>not in any manner that you couldn't get from looking through the
>certification vendor's software and hardware sales catalogs and
>Google...

My interest in actual certification is zero or less, but I've looked
at various books & tutorials purporting to prepare victims for the
exams.  Many struck me as worthless, verging on fraudulent.

Compare a series of 8 LPI tutorials at

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/

which to me seem a very sound introduction to basic use of Linux,
going well into system administration & onward, with related
tutorials for awk, bash, regex, & sed.

Reliable regulars in debian-user don't need 'em, but isolated users
may profit from help -- largely by Daniel Robbins of Gentoo.

-- Atrypa