Re: HD access

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:10:28AM +0100, mess-mate wrote:
| You'r lucky :-)
| I've only '01 01 01 01....' after 'DMI pool DATA...'
|
| The BIOS recognize the nbrs of cylinders but not the size.
| I changed the jumpers to 15 heads and had no more success.
| I forgot, the HD is only a few mounths old (not an old one).
| I remember a similar message 6-10 months ago from an other user
| but forgot on what list :-(

First it is important that the BIOS is configured correctly.  The
auto-detection might not work right, in which case you must set it
manually (and hope the BIOS isn't a piece of crap (like the compaq I
used to have) and that it lets you set it).

Then be sure that the kernel is below the 1024th cylinder (the 8 or
8.5 GB mark).  The only way to be certain is to create a separate
partition you mount as /boot.  Do that and you'll be able to boot the
kernel.  Otherwise the boot loader won't be able to read the kernel
from disk.

-D

--
How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released incompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you don't care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/