Making a DSL server?

I am making plans for developing a turnkey system that will be installed in retail stores, that will have a DSL connection.

Unfortunately, I live out in the Maine woods, far from available DSL service. I connect to the Net with a 56k modem.

But I'm going to need to simulate a DSL connection in order to develop this system. I think that it wouldn't do to just require a DSL-connected masquerading router. At least I think it wouldn't. I would like the user to just make a normal connection to a DSL modem. (I don't think the user's would normally want or need other hosts to be connected to the Internet.)

So what I'm thinking of doing is setting up a small DSL network in my office. What I would need is a DSL _server_. I would expect that for the server software I could set something up on a Linux box. What would I need for the server hardware?

I expect that if I were an ISP and needed to service hundreds of connections, this wouldn't be a problem. Does anyone make DSL server hardware that serves one connection? What do I even look for.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards,

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com

    "I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak
     out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared,
     be in doubt, but don't be gagged."
     -- John J. Chapman, "Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations"
        http://www.goingware.com/reputation/