Re: Desktop Performance Issue

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, xio wrote:

> Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> > Probably not needed. Try running hdparm to enable DMA.
>
> I agree.  First thing after a Debian install I always put the following
> line into /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:
>
> /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hd[abc]
>
> Works like a treat!

# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

# hdparm -I
<...>
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
        bytes avail on r/w long: 4      Queue depth: 1
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = ?
        Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
<...>

Do I want to fiddle with PIO?
This is on a 486DX2-25 board.

- Bruce