Re: Desktop Performance Issue

Michael Evaniuck, 2002-Dec-27 09:40 -0700:
> I have been running Debian intermitantly since 2.2 was out. There is
> nothing I would like more to standardize on this distro but there is one
> issue I can not seem to get over. Hopefully one of you good people can
> assist me on this.
>
> If I run am running Debian and attempt to run multiple applications at
> the same time performance degrades a lot. For example if I am playing an
> MP3 on XMMS and while playing it run Mozilla the MP3 cuts out while it is
> lesser extent. On Gentoo this does not happen at all but I do not have
> the time to spend compiling all my software. Redhat/Mandrake it happens
> but not nearly as bad. Debian gives me the worst performance of two
> applications. Surprisingly Windows 98/2K/XP this does not happen at all
> and you can not tell me M$ multitasks better then Linux!! This happens in
> either KDE, Gnome, or Windowmaker. My system is as follows:
>
> Duron 800mhz
> 256MB RAM
> NVidea TNT2 (32MB) Graphics Card
> Ensoniq Sound Card
>
> BTW - I borrowed a 1.3Ghz processor and put in 512MB RAM and saw no
> difference.

This is interesting.  On my laptop (P3-750mhz, 256MB RAM), I have no
problems like you describe.  I would suspect that your desktop
environment is eating up too many resources.  I run xfce which is MUCH
lighter than KDE and Gnome, but I'm not sure about Windowmaker.
Perhaps load a light window manager and try it out.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User