Desktop Performance Issue

I have been running Debian intermitantly since 2.2 was out. There is
nothing I would like more to standardize on this distro but there is one
issue I can not seem to get over. Hopefully one of you good people can
assist me on this.

If I run am running Debian and attempt to run multiple applications at
the same time performance degrades a lot. For example if I am playing an
MP3 on XMMS and while playing it run Mozilla the MP3 cuts out while it is
lesser extent. On Gentoo this does not happen at all but I do not have
the time to spend compiling all my software. Redhat/Mandrake it happens
but not nearly as bad. Debian gives me the worst performance of two
applications. Surprisingly Windows 98/2K/XP this does not happen at all
and you can not tell me M$ multitasks better then Linux!! This happens in
either KDE, Gnome, or Windowmaker. My system is as follows:

Duron 800mhz
256MB RAM
NVidea TNT2 (32MB) Graphics Card
Ensoniq Sound Card

BTW - I borrowed a 1.3Ghz processor and put in 512MB RAM and saw no
difference.

Michael